Connect with Donor Family
Mid-South Transplant Foundation will gladly facilitate all correspondence between recipients and donor families.
Deciding whether to write your donor family is a personal and sometimes difficult decision. Perhaps you don’t feel ready to write or don’t know exactly what to say. You have a unique story to tell, and we want you to tell it at your own pace.
Mid-South Transplant Foundation (MSTF) facilitates all correspondence between transplant recipients and donor families. Regardless of whether you decide to send a simple card or a detailed letter, just by reaching out you are letting your donor’s family know you are thinking of them with gratitude.
Helpful hints and tips about the letter-writing process:
• Recipients often choose to write to donor families to tell a little about themselves and the impact donation has had on their life and their family. We’ve heard donor families welcome and appreciate these details. Great places to start include what type of work you have done professionally, a description of your family and what you are most looking forward to doing again after your transplant. Donor families often comment that they welcome and appreciate these details.
• Until you get a feel for your donor family and how you feel about corresponding with them, we recommend you do not disclose any identifying or direct contact information. While MSTF does not restrict either party from releasing identifying or direct contact information, we do want to make sure you have considered all of the potential outcomes of making such a disclosure.
• Mid-South Transplant Foundation works closely with other organ procurement organizations and transplant centers to ensure donor families are ready to receive your letters prior to sending them. If we receive feedback that your donor family is not ready to correspond, we will immediately contact you to discuss the next steps.
• After your initial letter is written and forwarded to the donor family, which may take several weeks for them to receive, you may feel somewhat anxious about whether or not you will hear back from them. Please do not feel that your expression of interest is unwelcome should a response take time or not arrive at all. Your concern for the well-being of the family of the one who so profoundly impacted your life and expressions of gratitude are greatly appreciated.
The Family Care staff at MSTF is always available to assist you with writing to your donor family. We can answer questions about the process, discuss your feelings about taking this step, and help you write your card or letter. Please do not hesitate to call us with questions or concerns at (901) 328-4438 (GIFT) or (877) 228-5433.
To send your letter:
1. Place your card/letter in an unsealed envelope.
2. On a separate piece of paper, write your full name and contact information, the date of your transplant, what gift(s) you received and the name of the hospital where your transplant took place and the name of your physician. This confidential information is solely for our records as we need it to locate your donor family.
3. Place the first envelope and the piece of paper in a sealed envelope and mail your letter to:
Mid-South Transplant Foundation
Attn: Family Care Department
8001 Centerview Parkway, Suite 302
Cordova, TN 38018