Donor Memorial Quilts
When is the deadline?
There is no deadline as we are always working on new quilts. Once we receive your loved one’s square we will simply add it to the next quilt we assemble. We understand that this is a very special project and that you will want to put some time and thought into its completion.
Dedicated to the memory of all who have given the Gift of Life.
The Mid-South Transplant Foundation (MSTF) invites you to participate in the making of a MSTF Donor Family Quilt. Our quilts are created for donor families to honor and preserve the memory of their loved one. Each quilt is made up of approximately 16 unique squares and upon completion will be dedicated to the memory of all those who have given the Gift of Life. Each square is a unique tribute to the life and heroism of your loved one as an organ or tissue donor.
Our Memorial Quilts are displayed at our annual Donor Family Ceremony, at local hospitals, health fairs and other community events to raise awareness of the need for organ and tissue donation and to keep alive the memory of those who gave. Our hope is that by participating you will find that the quilt furthers your loved one’s legacy and extends the impact of his or her precious gift.
Requirements for all Quilt Squares:
• Quilt squares are on muslin fabric cut into a 14” x 14” square. We mail a fabric square to every donor’s next of kin along with a detailed brochure approximately two months after their loved one’s death. However, if for any reason another piece of fabric is needed, please just ask and we will be happy to mail you one. Whether your loved one was a recent donor or a donor from many years ago, we want to assist you in honoring him or her through this endeavor.
• Finished size for the quilt squares are 10” X 10”. (Do not let any of your design touch or go outside this imaginary line, or it will not be seen.)
• There are no limitations on how you accomplish the creation of your square. Your design can be made using cross-stitch, appliqué, computer art, silk-screen, paint, permanent or fabric markers, or any other method you can devise. Some families transfer photos directly onto the fabric. Feel free to include a poem, a quote or any symbol from your loved one’s life that might help you express your thoughts.
• If you would like to include a sentimental piece of fabric, please permanently attach the fabric of your choice to the muslin square provided for uniformity. Fabric materials added may include material from a baby blanket, high school jacket, a favorite piece of clothing or even a necktie.
• To maintain confidentiality, please use only the first name of the donor being honored on the square. However, you may use dates if you wish.
• In order that everyone’s loved ones might be honored we request that only one completed quilt square per donor be submitted. New quilts are created as soon as enough squares are collected. We will contact you with a photograph of the quilt that includes your loved one’s tribute once it is finished.
Please send your finished quilt square enclosed in a zip top type plastic bag to ensure that it remains clean and arrives safely to:
Mid-South Transplant Foundation
Attn: Family Care Department
8001 Centerview Parkway, Suite 302
Cordova, TN 38018
Along with your completed square please include the following information:
• Your name, address, phone number and e-mail
• Your relationship to the Donor and your loved one’s name
• The Donor’s date of birth and date of death
You may wish to send your square using an insured carrier or registered mail for peace of mind.
Please feel free to call with any questions and we’ll be glad to assist you at (901) 328-4438 (GIFT) or (877) 228-5433.