FLSA Status: Exempt
Working Hours: Office hours per policy or hours dictated by workload and 24/7 call schedule; During normal staffing, will take call 5-6 days per month
Supervises: Tissue Recovery Coordinators and Tissue Recovery Technicians (Full-time and Contract)
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or Certified Surgical Technician, Surgical Assistant, Certified First Assistant, Physician’s Assistant, EMT, Paramedic, LPN, RN or Autopsy Technician or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of three years tissue banking experience
- Certified Tissue Bank Specialist (CTBS) required
- Thorough understanding of the tissue recovery process, including FDA and
- AATB standards
- Management experience preferred
- Strong organizational, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Must use critical thinking and be detail oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to multi-task and work under high pressure situations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Valid driver’s license, reliable automobile and proof of automobile insurance
This position is responsible for effective leadership and supervision of the tissue recovery staff. This position will focus on in-depth training, evaluation, competency and ongoing education of the tissue recovery staff. Furthermore, this position is responsible for assisting in the development, planning and implementation of programs and processes that will maximize and increase tissue donation in the MSTF donation service area.
- Supervise the day-to-day activities of the tissue recovery staff
- Act as Administrator-On-Call to ensure efficient operation of tissue recovery cases
- Perform on-going evaluation of tissue recovery staff performance in regards to quality performance indicators, competency assessments and annual performance review.
- Oversee correction actions, performance improvement plans, and recommendations for promotions for tissue recovery staff
- Assist and monitor new employee training and on-going training of tissue recovery staff
- Provide on-site training and competency reviews for tissue recovery staff
- Assist with development of training and classroom setting education for tissue recovery staff to include anatomy, medical terminology, patient assessment for donor suitability, review of authorization forms and medical/social history, tissue recovery procedures, surgical technique, case reviews, review of deviations, standard operating procedures, etc.
- Assist with completion of tissue recovery staff training files and modules
- Monitor and assist with implementation of programs and training to maximize tissue donation outcomes such as contamination rate, skin yield, tissues recovered, etc.
- Develop the tissue call schedule to ensure appropriate coverage for recovery of all potential tissue donors
- Oversee case reviews and lead monthly case review meeting
- Assists Manager of Tissue Recovery with weekly and monthly meetings for tissue recovery staff
- Perform all responsibilities of a tissue recovery technician and participate in 24/7 call, which requires flexibility in terms of hours to provide coverage for illness and vacation of the other tissue recovery staff
- Participate in hiring of tissue recovery staff through screening resumes and conducting interviews
- Oversee materials management including inventory of procurement supplies and maintenance of surgical instrumentation
- Function as an expert resource to hospitals, funeral homes and others in the MSTF service area on the subject of tissue donation